The Richter String Competition is sponsored by the Magdalena Richter Fund and was created to honor the legacy of extraordinary teaching and leadership by Magdalena Richter, the chair of the RSC string department and violin teacher at RSC for many years.
- The deadline for applications with prescreen recordings is Saturday, April 15, 2023.
- Those who pass prescreening will be invited to the In-Person Selected Finalists’ Audition that will take place on Saturday, May 6, 2023.
- A Winners’ Recital will take place on Sunday, May 7, 2023.
Congratulations to the 2022 Winners:
1st Prize: Alex Hernandez-Williams (student of Liana Zaretsky)
2nd Prize: Valerie Bai (student of Kelly Barr)
3rd Prize: Anouk Grigoryan (student of Lucia May)
Middle School Division
1st Prize: Kirsten Choi (student of Ron Lowry)
2nd Prize: Joelle Chang (student of Jin-Kyung Joen)
3rd Prize: Rob Hargrove (student of Piotr Buczek)
High School Division
1st Prize: Christopher Kim (student of Piotr Buczek)
2nd Prize: Emilia Spasojevic (student of Ron Lowry)
3rd Prize: Jonathan Liu (student of Ron Lowry)
- The competition has two divisions: Rivers and Open. Rivers is open to all string players who take weekly lessons at RSC. Open is for all string players who take lessons in New England.
- Each division has three categories – Elementary school (up to 5th grade), Middle school (6th – 8th grade), and Upper School (9th – 12th grade).
- Students may compete in a higher category if they wish.
- Students may not participate in the same category if they have already won first place in a previous year, but they may compete in a higher category the following or future year.
- In each category, first prize is a $500 RSC scholarship, second prize is a $300 RSC scholarship, and 3rd prize is a $150 RSC scholarship.
- The required repertoire is two contrasting pieces, and they must be memorized.
- Applicants who pass the prescreen round are invited to the live round, which will take place in-person in Rivera Recital Hall.
- An accompanist will be provided, or a competitor may use their own accompanist.
- Entrants must submit a PDF file of their scores when entering the competition.